As the holiday season coming to a close and everyone is starting to box up the ornaments and Christmas decorations, new memories that will last a lifetime have been made. Our family decided that we would like to start some holiday traditions each year to look forward to and to make Christmas time just a bit more fun. 🎄
1. The first holiday tradition we incorporated was making a DIY keepsake ornament. With a one year old little boy, we knew we had to do something special and make some sort of a keepsake item. This keepsake ornament was so simple to make! The perfect time to have a one year old participate is during nap time, lol. Once he was asleep, I carefully painted his hand with a safe, acrylic paint and made a handprint on a glass ornament. After I got a precious little handprint, I took a makeup remover face towel and wiped it all off. He never woke up. I then decorated it and now it’s a beautiful keepsake item on our tree.
2. Christmas Pajama Pictures. This year, we decided (kind of last minute) to adopt a new tradition and incorporate some cheesy, awesome Christmas pajama pictures. My husband requested “extra velveeta cheesy goodness”. It was too late to order online, and all the ones we could find at the stores didn’t have all our sizes. We ended up finding our adult ones at our local Walmart. I found Santa Claus on a unicorn and my husband wore a moose/reindeer funny one. It made for a cheesy photo moment! It’s a tradition I look forward to each and every year. We also wore these pajamas Christmas morning, so we got some good use out of them.
3. Christmas cookies! 🍪 How could we not start this tradition? Lol. For this new tradition, my husband took the lead. I love being married to a man that can cook just about anything just as good as me or better. He decided to make snickerdoodle cookies and macadamian nut white chocolate chip cookies. Both were delicious!! We got caught up with a one year old, so we didn’t have time to frost them, but they were so yummy and delicious, we didn’t even need to. This is one Christmas tradition I am already looking forward to next year! ☺️
4. Christmas movies and cartoons all day long. Yes, we are now the household that started this tradition and now has Christmas on tv in the background the entire day! We saw A Christmas Story, the classic claymation animation of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, A Charley Brown Christmas, the classic of Miracle on 34th Street and a whole bunch more.
5. Salt Dough Ornaments. This is one tradition that I’ve recently heard about. I had to try this one a couple different times. I looked at several different recipes on Pinterest, and each one was different. The first batch I baked in the oven at 325. DONT BAKE IT. These came out like a puffy tortilla! Lol. The second batch I followed another recipe and baked at 200 for another. Came out bubbled. The third batch I didn’t place in the oven at all and those came out fine. Patience is best. Let them sit overnight, longer if possible and flip them over once they are dry on one side. Paint them however you want with acrylic paint and tag-daaah! A keepsake for year starts to come.
I hope you enjoyed reading what our family’s were Christmas traditions were this year! It made the holiday season that much more fun. DO you have any Christmas traditions you like to do with your family? Comment below! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season, Merry Christmas!! 🎄🎅🏻🤶🏻🎁🎊🙏🏻